About Me

My photo
I am a rising senior at Vanderbilt University majoring in "Music, Language, and Culture." I am a guitar teacher of three years at W.O. Smith and have been heavily involved in music since the age of six. I play the piano, violin, guitar, sing, write songs, arrange, and compose. I have participated in youth symphonies, touring high school symphonies, chamber groups, quartets, A Capella groups, and summer music conservatories. It's an honor to be a part of W.O. Smith!

5/27/11

Week 2 Reflection

This past week was when I really started to get cracking at my summer project. I started to feel more comfortable at the school, and began to do more individual work. I contacted many experts in music education, and reached out to potential instructors. I talked with a person who owns a music store, a person who owns a music studio, an person who teaches keyboard harmony at the college level, songwriters, and composers. They all had great insight and ideas. Nearly everyone I spoke with had heard of the W.O. Smith School, which was very encouraging. It feels good to be a part of an organization that is doing such great and important work, and that is respected and a part of the community. I'm not sure if W.O. Smith would be what it is without Nashville.

I was able to sit in on the W.O. Smith annual board meeting. This meeting is the most important meeting of the year. The budget is approved, and key decisions are made about the school. What a great experience!