About Me

My photo
I am a rising senior at Vanderbilt University majoring in "Music, Language, and Culture." I am a guitar teacher of three years at W.O. Smith and have been heavily involved in music since the age of six. I play the piano, violin, guitar, sing, write songs, arrange, and compose. I have participated in youth symphonies, touring high school symphonies, chamber groups, quartets, A Capella groups, and summer music conservatories. It's an honor to be a part of W.O. Smith!

7/7/11

Class 4 (Take 2) Reflection

Since the students did not do their homework for the previous class, I did not have time to teach them the next lesson. Therefore, I called a make-up class on a day that was not originally scheduled. One student called in sick about 15 minutes before the class started. I spoke to the student and the parent over the phone and told both of them that the assignment pack was going to be left at the front desk. I was very sympathetic, but told them that the student was still responsible for the work, and that the packet needed to be picked up before the end of the day. It was. The other three students made great progress! I was sure to hand them an assignment that was more manageable. I also sought the guidance of the W.O. Smith staff. One staff member went through my lesson plan and assignment pack and helped me identify useful activities and ways of explaining the new information. This was very helpful. I realized that the earlier I have my lesson plans ready, the more time I have to perfect them.